Archive for July, 2008
Dynamics GP Translation to Foreign Language
Current version of Microsoft Dynamics GP is available directly from Microsoft in English, Canadian French and Latin American Spanish. Earlier versions were available in some of the European languages, such as German, Polish, Russian. There is Arabic version. If you are thinking about implementing Great Plains for your overseas subsidiary, we assume that you do understand what Corporate ERP localization is and that it includes not only language support, but also compliance to local country tax code and government regulation. If you are now confident that all you need to do is translate several screens and reports to enable limited foreign data entry and print outs, here are some details below:
1. Dexterity limitations. This is architecture and it is very difficult to break through its restrictions. It is restricted to ASCII compliant international alphabets only. Alphabets, where Unicode is required, typically the ones with hieroglyphs: Chinese, Japanese, Korean are not supported in Dexterity. There are limited options – NJ Star (allowing you entering Chinese symbols and save them in parallel tables), more details below. You might be surprise to find out that such alphabets as Arabic, Persian, Dari are ASCII compliant (they are all based on Arabic characters and the number of characters is limited and one byte of ASCII standard is sufficient to handle all of them)
2. SQL Server company database collation. When you have your database installed for your foreign branch, be sure that you change SQL collation to support foreign alphabet. Also the easiest way to enable saving characters with collation in Great Plains user interface is install Windows Vista or Windows 7 user workstation in foreign country version (for example Brazilian Portuguese or Russian)
3. Chinese version shortcut. There are several utilities available, which intercept Dexterity form popup on your computer screen and replace all the String resources into Chinese. Then you can combine such add-ons with NJ Star to enable characters entry and saving. You can always consider adding reports, designed in Crystal, where all the alphabets are supported (to produce nice SOP Invoice form in Chinese)
4. OK, what if my language doesn’t have existing translation? Then, you can consider translating String resource in GP on your own. We will describe two methods: Modifier and Dexterity
5. Modifier. This method we consider as very elegant, where you do not really do such bug prone things as Dexterity custom programming, you are just translating String resources in Modifier (however it requires Modifier license for translation and Customization Site Enabler on each user to open translated Strings). How does it work? Open Dynamics GP -> Tools -> Customize -> Modifier. Here in Modifier, in menu Resources pick Strings. Now find the String that needs to be translated and simply change its Description (be sure to select Series, for example Sales). If you would like Customer Name fields in SOP Transaction form to be shown in your local language, change series to Sales, find Customer Name String resource and change it here to your local equivalent. Dexterity will show it in your local language if your native Windows 7 is installed in local country version
6. Dexterity String translation. We saw two flavors of Arabic translation, one, the older was done in Dexterity with some localization programming and the second was newer one done in Modifier. Methodic is the same – translate String resources in Dex (try to keep the number of characters in your local translation the same or smaller, comparing to original String in English, as Dexterity seems to be packing the dictionary – you do it in Dynamics.dic file). In Dexterity there might be situations where you can disrupt its business logic and introduce annoying software bugs
7. Translation feasibility or flea check. It only makes sense, where you have very limited operations in the foreign country and you do not expose your subsidiary to local financial audit, VAT, GST or Sales Tax audit. If your subsidiary is exposed to local regulations, we recommend you to check with your local CPA, who is familiar with national and international GAAP. In some situations in smaller countries the regulation doesn’t deviate from international GAAP, as government is committed to attract foreign investment. In the case of larger countries, such as Russia, China, India, Germany, France, Brazil this rule doesn’t work, as such countries typically have rich flavor of local legislation which deviates from international GAAP. Historically our company pioneered with localizing Great Plains in such countries as Brazil (we were approached by Microsoft to do this job, however later on MBS decided to favor Navision over GP and even more later Axapta) and Russia (where we had localized version 4.0, available in Moscow for Corporate ERP market in Russian Federation; with acquisition of Navision Software Microsoft pulled GP out of the Russian market)
8. What to do if we have GP as Corporate ERP in USA Headquarters and would like to find localized overseas ERP for our Russian, Chinese, Brazilian subsidiary? Well, the answer depends on the budget and functionality scope. If you are Microsoft shop and have large manufacturing or distribution facility overseas, take a look ad Dynamics AX (formerly known as Axapta). If you have small operations, we recommend you to look at the competition, for example SAP Business One is localized for the majority of foreign countries and regions and it is available in such languages as Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese (it is not available in Arabic by understandable reasons). In some cases you can see strong dominance of local accounting packages, such as 1S Bukhgalteria in Russian Federation and to some extent Microsiga in Brazil. In Brazil SAP Business One expansion and success seems to be more encouraging comparing to Russia
9. New markets with strong international funding. Here we are talking about such countries as Afghanistan, potentially in the future Iran, former Soviet Central Asia: Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan with oil and gas natural resources. Local languages: Dari, Farsi, Uzbek, Kazakh are based on Arabic, Russian or Latin alphabet, and Dynamics GP could be recommended for screen translation via Modifier method. Plus, we believe, even if it might be difficult to lure out consultants to travel onsite, modern Web Session technologies, such as Gotomeeting, Web Ex, Skype could change the attitude of the Great Plains consulting community to switch into competing for these foreign market mode
10. Some observations about international implementation of Microsoft CRM. We recommend it for all your international subsidiaries, this is the only CRM solution from Microsoft and it is translated and supported Worldwide
About the Author
Andrew Karasev is Great Plains Certified Master, MVP, email@example.com 1-866-304-3265, 1-269-605-4904. He is also the initiator of eFaru project http://www.efaru.com and founder of Alba Spectrum information space
How to Speak German Without Making Mistakes
The title of this article is a little bit misleading because even native German speakers do make mistakes all the time and say the wrong words. However, when they are learning how to speak German there are some common mistakes that beginners usually make and this article is intended to help you avoid making these same mistakes. Making mistakes is a part of learning and you learn from them. However, many adult learners become frustrated when they make the same mistakes over and over.
Just as in English, there are many German words that have dual meanings. One of these is the word for also It does mean also but it also means You can use it at the beginning of a sentence when you want to say and in the middle or at the end of a sentence, when you want to convey the meaning of.
Many beginners confuse the words and when they are learning to speak German. Both are used to connect sentences and serve as conjunctions, but is an adverb. It means in a situation of if something happens, then I will act in a certain way. means for or because and is a true conjunction.
Another word that causes confusion for beginners in learning German is reund? which means friend. If you are speaking of one male friend, then it is correct to use reund? If the friend is female, then you must use reundin? Several female friends would mean you have to use the plural form of the word, which is reundinen? However, if there is a mixture of male and female friends, you use the plural form of the masculine word ?freunde. There is also another complication with using this word in the German language. The word for friend is not used loosely and refers only to those considered close friends. It can also have a romantic connotation if you do not specify that the person you are speaking of is not a boyfriend or girlfriend. In this case you would have to clarify further by adding to the phrase, meaning riend of mine?
are both German prepositions that mean One easy way to distinguish between these words and use them correctly is to think of as meaning and of meaning a direction. and sound so much alike in German, that many people often confuse them and use them incorrectly. They have completely different meanings. means and means in front of. It would sound really funny to a native German speaker if you were to confuse them when speaking.
If you want to say you or another person is a student in school, you have to use the correct word to denote which kind of school you attend. The word student is the same in German and English for males, and a female student is studentin. This word refers to a person attending university or college. If you want to speak of a pupil still in grade school, you have to use the word schuler for male and schulerin for female.
About the Author
If you want to learn how to learn how to speak German you should visit http://German.Speak7.com , the best place to learn German for free. It will teach you everything from the German aplhabet, to expressions and more.
Interactive English Courses Increase Interest
Regardless of the subject matter and the age group of the student, interactive teaching tends to work best. In today’s technology driven and information based world, most interactive learning is done via computers. This can take many formats, such as:
- PowerPoint presentations
- Video presentations
- Webinars and web conferencing
What is Interactive Learning?
This is learning where the student is actively involved in the process. They do not just sit in a classroom or other similar setting and have someone feed them information. Instead, they are actively engaged in the process by hands on activities. When English is taught using multimedia resources to make the teaching and learning interactive, all the senses become engaged.
In short, interactive English courses stimulate interest by appealing to all the different learning styles of people. These learning styles that are involved with interactive learning are:
- Touching and doing
Using these senses, learning takes place when the student is actively engaged by the teacher, the software or teaching material and the subject matter.
English as Second Language
English is a difficult subject for native English speakers, much less for persons who are learning it as a second language. Interactive English courses are especially useful at increasing interest when used to teach English to non-English speakers. Whether a child, teen or adult, learning by doing makes the whole process seem more real. This can improve retention as the student’s interest is kept throughout the learning session.
Some ways those students learn English interactively is by playing word games, puzzles and even with songs. In some cases, students are encouraged to watch movies in English and try to interpret what is being said. The movies can be viewed with captions or not depending on the level attained by the students. Many interactive English courses allow students to answer questions online.
Learning English Interactively for English-Speaking Children
Children too can benefit greatly if teachers introduce them to the basic concepts of the English language by using interactive teaching methods. Most children find it easier to learn by seeing and experiencing something, so interactive teaching methods definitely increase interest.
Interactive English courses do not only increase interest in learning the subject. They also encourage and ultimately improve student-teacher interaction in the teaching-learning process. Learning is always best achieved when students feel that their teachers show an interest and they can actually see that they are learning.
Anyone involved in education, regardless of the level, will admit that interactive learning enables teachers to hold the attention of students. The great thing about interactive teaching methods is that teachers and students can connect with each other even if they are not in the same location. There have been studies which indicate that interactive learning is also an important tool for successful online learning.
In years past, interactive courses were generally utilized in mathematics and the sciences. Now however, interactive English courses are commonplace in many school settings. This type of teaching and learning method helps make learning a new language fun for everyone involved.
About the Author
Learn to speak English
online with courses that will help you learn English at your own pace. Online English school offers
online English lessons
to help students learn English and achieve their goals.
[mage lang="" source="flickr"]online brazilian portuguese lessons[/mage]
Arabic Language Course
An arabic language course can be very challenging and difficult, wouldn’t you agree? Many people talk me this about this all the time. But I have worked very hard so you will not have to by developing a new arabic language course.
Imagine if you could speak Arabic and no longer have trouble with your schooling, friends or family, eating out or traveling? Are these some on the reasons you intend to find an arabic language course and are searching online in a desperate way to find an excellent source?. Arabic can be really easy to discover and with my arabic language course you will be taught some distinctive tips plus tricks to help you learn Arabic as fast as you like.
Even if you have had an arabic language course before, my way of teaching you will probably be really fun and you will be efficient at learning all through these arabic language courses. You can learn Arabic promptly and naturally with my arabic language course because it offers a fine recipe of recent as well as traditional arabic texts and instructions on how to pronounce each word correctly. I gurantee no other Arabic language course offers this combination.
You will find out to articulate Arabic very clearly with my arabic language course becasue I incorporate a big secret that nobody else will show you. My arabic language course secret has been the most greatest – true secret and hidden key – which can assist you to learn Arabic easily plus ANY other language quickly.
This arabic language course and program is a very delightful and rich set of Arabic resources. Here’s a sample of what you will receive:
- An overwhelming quantity of subject matter with the arabic language course . Over, one thousand study samples of grammar, phrases in the midst of vocabulary
- A well structured and organized arabic language course and system. 10 directly downloadable PDF ‘Breaking The Arabic Code’ language course textbooks.
- The secrets to ultimate pronunciation while using this arabic language course . Every expression in every lessons book has been transliterated so you may perhaps figure out the proper pronunciations.
- Clear Arabic typesetting. Every word as well as expression is also printed in Arabic so you can successfully find out how to understand in addition to write Arabic with the arabic language course.
Please visit the Official Arabic Language Course Website
About the Author
I teach Arabic at San Diego University to graduate students and I know there’s a long, difficult road to becoming a confident and proficient arabic speaker … and then there’s a secret shortcut …. and I’m about to hand you that shortcut… Secret Teaching Weapon for the Arabic Language
Should I take a Spanish course in college, or just learn on Rosetta Stone?
I am enrolling in the fall semester at my local community college and I would like to learn Spanish. So would it be better to sign up for Spanish 1? Or use a Spanish computer program such as Rosetta Stone? I would like to save money but at the same time I would like to learn a 2nd language. I took French in High School and I somewhat regret that lol
Any suggestions welcomed and best answer gets points, thanks.
I think you should take a Spanish course in college because for the University I go to a foreign language credit is required no matter what major you are studying. This may not be a requirement for all degrees or colleges, but you should also think about how you learn best. In a classroom setting you can ask questions, go to tutoring etc. and with Rosetta Stone you don’t get graded, you can learn at you’re own pace….